Sunday 18 December 2022

CLAIMED BY THE BEAST.

CHAPTER 7.
COME OVER.

EVERETT’S POV

Everett has only left the house once in the past week, and that was to go grocery shopping with his parents.

Things have been pretty quiet ever since The Incident that happened at Club Inferno. Almost too quiet. Though that hasn’t stopped Everett from annoying Knox to no end. He’s texted the grumpy biker every single day since being back home, half of his messages being chaotic memes and the other half telling Knox what was going on around the neighborhood, which wasn’t much.

“You’re no fun at all,” Everett mutters to himself after receiving another lame reply from Knox. The guy isn’t very talkative, his responses mainly being one to two word replies. “Dickhead probably doesn’t even appreciate the daily updates I’ve been sending him. I should stop wasting my time.”

“On what?” Gary, Everett’s father, asks after entering the living room. He sinks into his favorite chair and begins flicking through the channels on TV, eventually stopping on a soap opera. “You’re not having boy troubles again, are you?”

“Something like that,” Everett mumbles. He slips his cell phone into his pocket and then stretches out on the couch, staring out the living room window while wondering what he’d be doing right now if his life hadn’t imploded a week ago. “Hey, dad. Can I ask you something personal?”

Gary chuckles. “Depends. How personal are we getting?”

“It’s about death,” Everett clarifies. “Are you afraid to die?”

“Oh, uh...” Gary takes his time while thinking about his answer. The question doesn’t come as a shock because Everett has always been a little eccentric. “No, I’m not afraid to die. I’ve done all I wanted to do on this earth, and the thought of being reunited with your mother... well, I’m looking forward to seeing her again.”

“Yeah, I miss her, too.”

“Do you think she’d hate me for entertaining Sarah?”

Everett shakes his head, smiling. “She wouldn’t have wanted you to be alone and miserable down here. I know I definitely didn’t want that for you.”

“I couldn’t tell back then,” Gary laughs.

He’s a short, chubby man with popping joints and a kind heart. The type to give you the clothes off his back if asked nicely. The only thing Everett received from his father was his chocolate eyes. Gary often jokes that Everett’s height and good looks come solely from Maxine, his biological mother.

When she passed away, she didn’t go alone. She took pieces of them with her, too.

“I’m sorry I was an asshole and gave you such a hard time at the beginning about dating again,” Everett says. “Sarah’s honestly a cool chick. I really like her.”

“She likes you too, and so does little Emily.” Gary smiles. He lowers the volume on the television when his show goes to a commercial break. “What’s got you thinking about death, son? Is there something going on that I need to know about? You know you can tell me anything.”

Everett sits upright and sighs, his eyes lingering on the copper flooring. “There’s so much senseless violence happening all over the world. It makes me wonder when my luck will run out, and who’s victim I’ll become...”

“Everett, what is—”

The sound of the doorbell going off disrupts the conversation. Gary tries to keep it going, but Everett brushes him off to answer the door.

For a split second, the image of a tall and brooding man with enthralling grey eyes pops into Everett’s head. It’s replaced in a flash after he opens the door to see Alissa and Michael standing on the other side, both of them looking upset.

“W-what are you guys doing here?” Everett asks, nervously shifting on his feet. “I told you we could hang out next weekend, remember? Right now I’m busy with—”

“Keeping us in the dark?” Alissa interrupts. Everett blinks, playing confused. “I caught a biker circling my block today. I don’t know how long he’s been doing it, but today I caught him in the act. When I stopped him and threatened that I would call the cops unless he left for good, he told me he was looking after me because you had requested it.”

Everett swallows hard. “I, um...”

“Same guy has been lurking around my place as well,” Michael adds. “What’s going on, Everett? Does this have something to do with Shaun? And why have you been ignoring us in the group chat? You’ve been acting weird ever since the shooting, man.”

“Which is completely understandable considering Shaun meant something to you.” Alissa places a hand on Everett’s arm and squeezes gently. “Whatever is going on, whatever it is you’re going through right now, you don’t have to do it alone. We’re your best friends, Everett. Ride or fucking die. So, what’s up?”

“Everything.” Everett rubs at his throbbing temples, feeling a migraine coming on. “Let’s talk about this in my room. I don’t want my dad to hear anything.”

Michael holds a hand out in front of them. “Lead the way.”

Everett feels heavier with each step that he takes. His thoughts are spiraling and his chest is tight with anxiety. He’s been avoiding meeting with his friends in person for a good reason. Telling them the truth about what happened to him after he fled Club Inferno will only drag them further into the hot mess he’s in. Then again, they might be safer knowing what it is they’re up against rather than not.

Either way, it’s putting more innocent lives on the line, something Everett has been working to avoid.

Hopefully, with Knox’s help, he will.

“Alissa, that biker wasn’t lying. He’s watching after you two because I asked for it,” Everett starts. He settles at the head of his bed while Alissa and Michael sit at the foot. “I can’t say too much, but before Shaun was shot and killed, he got into a fight with a member of a rival gang. That’s what started everything... and I was right there to witness it all.”

“Shit, man. That’s intense,” Michael says. “I’m sorry you had to see that.”

“Why didn’t you tell us this before, Everett?” Alissa asks, her expression pained. “We could’ve been by your side. You didn’t have to process that trauma alone.”

“That’s the thing. I wasn’t alone,” Everett whispers, his mind drifting back to Knox. “Shaun’s rival is The Fallen Angels, and they’re who took me in afterward. At first, they wanted to know if I had any dirt on Shaun and his MC. When I convinced them I didn’t, they let me stay the night at their clubhouse. Long story short, they offered me protection against Shaun’s crew, The Jackals, until their beef ends.”

“Why, though?” Alissa asks. “What reason would Shaun’s people have to come after you? I can’t think of one. I mean, it’s not like you set him up to get killed that night. Sounds to me like that fight is to blame, plus whoever shot him, not you.”

“That’s true,” Michael says. “But Everett just said he was right there to witness the fight and the shooting. I don’t know shit about MCs, but I bet The Jackals will want to hear the story from Everett’s point of view. Problem is that they can’t because he’s currently being guarded by their enemy, which isn’t a good look at all.”

“I know. This is why I don’t want to be seen hanging out with you guys in public, because then The Jackals might try to come after you to get to me,” Everett explains. “If I could go back in time, I never would’ve given Shaun my number. God rest his soul, wherever the fuck is, but I wish we had never met.”

Alissa shakes her head in disbelief, her brown skin looking paler. “This is crazy! I can’t believe we’re in the middle of a gang war between two rivaling MCs. What fucking Wattpad novel did we trip and fall into? Because I want out.”

“Let’s try to stay positive.” Michael pats at her leg, but Everett doesn’t miss the panicked look in his eyes. “Everett’s new friends are going to protect us.”

“Are these the same friends responsible for putting Shaun six feet under?” Alissa questions, staring at Everett. “You saw the shooter, right?”

Everett huffs, frustrated that he can’t reveal everything. “Yes, but I can’t say who—”

“You don’t have to give a name. I know it’s one of The Fallen Angels,” Alissa interrupts. “They’re offering protection in exchange for you keeping your mouth shut, aren’t they? Why else would they willingly put their lives on the line to look after three nobodies? Fuck, dude. I don’t like this at all. We should go to the police instead—”

“No!” Everett immediately shuts her down. “The Jackals could have them in their back pocket. I hate it to say it, but we can’t trust anyone right now. No one outside of The Fallen Angels. I’ve heard things about them, so I know they’re more than capable of keeping us safe. Try not to worry too much, okay?”

Alissa scoffs. “I don’t understand how you’re so calm about this. TMI, but it legit feels like I’m about to shit myself right now.”

“For our sake, please keep it inside.” Michael laughs, trying to lighten the mood. “I’m not trying to live the rest of my life with that image burned into my head.”

Movement by the door captures everyone’s attention. A familiar face comes into view, one that sets Everett’s insides on fire, and not in a good way.

“If you both want to stay alive, I highly suggest you listen to your friend Everett,” Finn smirks.

“What the f—” Everett scrambles off the bed and rushes Finn by the door, pushing him hard in the chest. “Who let you in? And what happened to the other guy that’s been watching me?”

“He got tasked to do something else, so Knox sent me to come babysit you and your friends for the rest of the week,” Finn answers. He speaks low while looking Everett up and down. “Your pops let me inside when I told him I was a friend of yours. Didn’t even blink an eye when he saw my cut and tats. Just how many bikers have you had over here—” Everett slaps Finn before he can finish that sentence. “The fuck, man!? It was just a simple question.”

“Get out of my house,” Everett snaps. “Looking at you makes me sick...” He shoves Finn again, angry tears pooling in his eyes. “You’re the reason why my life has gone to shit. I fucking hate you!”

Finn shot the gun that ended Shaun’s life.

His rude attitude set things into motion. It’s what started the fight that resulted in Shaun taking his last breath in Everett’s arms. A trauma that’ll take years to heal. Finn knows this, and it’s why he lets Everett have his way. He quietly accepts hit after hit until Michael eventually pulls Everett back.

Had things turned out differently a week ago, Finn would’ve killed Everett after finishing Shaun off. Now he’s become Everett’s babysitter. Funny how life works.

“Hey, man. As much as we appreciate your, uh, service... Everett doesn’t want you here, so you should go.” Michael positions Everett behind him, feigning confidence while studying Finn. “Aren’t you supposed to be outside watching after us, anyway? If The Jackals were to roll through, we’d all be fucked.”

“I hear you, but it’s a thousand fucking degrees out there and I’m out of water,” Finn says, keeping his cool. “Came in to ask for a drink. I can’t protect you all if I’m passed out on the street from dehydration.”

Everett snorts. “The toilet is full of water. Go knock yourself out.”

“Everett, cut it out already!” Alissa cautiously makes her way over to them, also taking refuge behind Michael’s tall frame. “A minute ago, you were hyping The Fallen Angels up. Now you’re throwing hands with the guy who’s meant to look after us. Why?”

“Our history is complicated,” Finn answers, still looking at Everett. “Hot or cold, I’ll take a bottle of water if you have one. Then I’ll be on my merry way.”

“The mini-fridge is on the other side of the room. Grab a bottle, then get the fuck out.” Everett pulls out his phone while stomping to the bathroom. He slams the door shut behind him. “Can’t believe he fucking did this to me. I knew he was an asshole, but... fuck, I expected more. So much more.”

Everett quietly vents to himself while messaging Knox.

E: Do you get off on torturing me??

K: What?

E: Why did you send Finn to look after me knowing what he’s done?

K: I told him to keep his distance so you wouldn’t notice him

K: I’m sorry

E: Fuck your sorry!

E: He’s standing in my bedroom right now chugging a bottle of water..

E: I should’ve let him die from dehydration

K: He’s in your bedroom?

E: Can you not fucking read?

K: Is anyone else in the house with you?

E: My dad and my friends. Why?

K: Make them leave. I’m coming over

E: NO

E: Stay where you are

E: I don’t want another one of you over here

K: Kitten...

K: Don’t fucking argue with me right now

K: I’m on my way

Everett tosses his phone onto the sink’s counter and locks eyes with his smiling reflection. Maybe Knox was right. Maybe he is growing on him.

WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE.

CHAPTER 18. “Yes, hold on,” I hastily removed my shirt and put on the pile of our bag and her leggings. “Wait, don’t you want photos first?”...