Sunday 18 December 2022

CLAIMED BY THE BEAST.

CHAPTER 6.
PHONE NUMBER.

KNOX’S POV

Knox didn’t get any sleep last night because Everett didn’t get any sleep last night. The boy tossed and turned until a few hours before sunrise.

At one point, he screamed himself awake because of a nightmare. More are bound to follow, given what all he experienced in the past twenty-four hours. Knox couldn’t help but pity his temporary roommate, enough to buy Everett a new charger so he can finally use that damn phone of his.

“I don’t care who you reach out to, just don’t reveal your location.” Knox tosses the yellow Dollar Store bag at Everett after entering his bedroom. “Has Josie stopped by? I ran into her while I was on my out and she told me she had something for you.”

Everett nods from the bed, quick to unbox the phone charger. “She delivered a few toiletries shortly after you left. My skin was desperate for some lotion, and it felt great to brush the stank out of my mouth. I’ll never take toothbrushes for granted again.”

“Yeah, because your breath smelled like—”

“Fuck off, you big panda! I didn’t ask for your snarky commentary.”

Knox’s head falls backward as he laughs. He shouldn’t find Everett to be this amusing but he does. Too much, if he’s being honest. Perhaps the way Everett carries himself is to blame. His looks make him appear sweet and innocent, but when set off, his mouth runs exactly like a filthy sailor’s.

He’s cute but deadly.

The absolute worst kind to fall for.

“Was that supposed to hurt my feelings or something?” Knox removes his beat-up leather jacket and kicks off his shoes before joining Everett on the bed, taking a seat at the foot of it. “It doesn’t, by the way. Pandas are one of the most beloved animals on the planet. Everyone is a fan of pandas.”

“Yeah, well, I’m not everyone,” Everett mutters. “In fact, I think they’re extremely overrated.”

Knox laughs again. “Fuckin’ liar. You couldn’t even look me in the eyes when you said that.”

“Don’t you have someplace else to be?” Everett replies sharply, meeting Knox’s playful gaze.

“No,” Knox says. “Getting under your skin is far more entertaining.”

“God, you’re so annoying.” Everett plugs the charger into the wall outlet beside the nightstand and hooks his phone up to it, struggling to keep from smiling. “I prefer this version of you over the one who almost strangled me to death. Are you always this hot and cold with the people you kidnap?”

Knox purposefully avoids answering the question because his targets are usually dead by this point. “Why panda?”

“Does it really matter?”

“Yes. I’m very curious to hear why you matched me to one of the most adorable animals in the—”

“Okay, enough.” Everett rolls his eyes, the corners of his mouth twitching and wanting badly to rise. “You’re dressed in black and white, and you’re about the size of a pregnant one—” They both chuckle at that. “It was honestly the first thing to pop into my head as I watched you get dressed this morning.”

“I thought you were still asleep then.”

“I’m pretty good at faking it when I want to.”

Knox bit back the inappropriate comment he wanted to make and instead allowed a comfortable silence to settle between them. He responded to a few texts while Everett checked in with his people. Knox appreciated the lie Everett told his parents in claiming he had spent the night with a boyfriend.

If only Shaun were still alive, Everett definitely would’ve been with him. The what-ifs leave Knox feeling unsettled, so he quickly brushes them off.

The life that Shaun lived would’ve eventually caught up with them both. It was only a matter of time before Everett witnessed firsthand just how cruel life was for a biker. Going forward, Knox secretly hopes the boy will think twice about dating men that are no good for him. Not that he should fucking care.

“My friends knew about me and Shaun being together.” Everett frowns while looking at old texts sent from Shaun, most of them flirty one-liners. “They’ve sent me a thousand questions asking if I knew more about what happened. I assume they watched the news from last night.”

“What did you tell them?” Knox asks.

“Nothing. All I sent is that I’m safe and will be home soon.” Everett sighs, shaking his head as he deletes his conversation with Shaun. “I hate lying to them.”

“I know it’s hard, but it’s for their own good.” Knox drags a hand through his hair and exhales a heavy breath. Since when did he become so... nice? “You seem like a decent kid, Everett. I’m sorry you got pulled into this mess—”

A loud knock at the door makes Everett jump from his spot on the bed, effectively ending the conversation. Knox doesn’t move an inch.

“Who the fuck is it?” Knox growls, his demeanor doing a complete 180.

“The owner of the house,” Gavin replies. “Come out here for a minute. We need to talk about the kid.”

Everett reaches for Knox without thinking twice, one hand gripping Knox’s left arm with enough force to leave behind an imprint. The boy’s light brown eyes are glowing bright with fear and his bottom lip is back to trembling. Knox instinctively leans in closer, almost as if he’s no longer in control of his body.

“Please don’t let him hurt me,” Everett whispers with a panicked voice. “I won’t say a word to anybody about anything, I swear. You have to bel—”

“I do. I believe you, Everett. You’re safe with me, alright? I’ve got you.”

“You promise?”

“I promise.”

Everett nods and drops his hand, allowing Knox to stand and crack open the door. Gavin doesn’t peer inside being nosy, merely laughs at how ridiculous his newly appointed Enforcer is acting. Must be something in the water.

“What’s up?” Knox asks.

“I’ll tell you as soon as you get your ass out here,” Gavin says. “Or would you prefer the kid hears everything?”

Knox steps out into the hallway, quietly shutting the door behind him. “What do you need from me, Gav?”

“For starters, you can loosen up by taking that giant stick out of your ass.” Gavin jokes, receiving a menacing scowl in return. “It’s barely been forty-eight hours since you brought the kid home. What the fuck kind of spell has he cast on you, brother?”

“Don’t go there, man. You’re reading into this too deeply,” Knox grumbles. “Any news come in on The Jackals? Have they made a move?”

Gavin smirks. “Way to change the subject. But no, nothing new yet. What about the kid? Is he still sticking to his original story? He hasn’t told you anything more about Shaun or The Jackals?”

“Nah. He’s clean.”

“Hm.”

“That all?”

“I’m announcing this later at church, but since you still have the kid, I figured I’d let you know beforehand that I plan on locking down the clubhouse starting today. This includes limiting all outgoing trips.”

“Okay. And?”

“I know you wanted a few more days to question him, but since he’s clean and whatnot, it’s time you send him home. The kid can’t stay here, and I highly doubt you’re willing to claim him so that he can.”

Knox’s jaw ticks and his body goes ridged with tension.

He thought he’d have more time with Everett, but thanks to Gavin’s move with the lockdown, that time has gotten erased within the blink of an eye. What the hell had Knox been thinking by offering Everett protection on the club’s behalf? He knew he didn’t have the authority to do so, yet he did it anyway, completely disregarding the formal process.

The Fallen Angels don’t usually waste their time and resources protecting strays, only those who have gotten claimed by a patched member. And that primarily happens towards people that the members share a bond with, like a close friend who isn’t already gang affiliated, or a romantic partner.

Everett is neither a friend or a lover, so what sense would it make for Knox to publicly claim him?

“Is this going to be a problem?” Gavin breaks the awkward silence, raising a questioning brow. “Because the look on your face right now is screaming that it might be, so what’s the deal? Tell it to me straight, Knox.”

“He’s just a dumb, innocent kid.”

“I’m aware.”

“It ain’t right to kick him out and have him fend for himself. Not when it’s our job to protect this town and the people in it. I won’t let an innocent die because of that reckless fucking Jackal.”

“So you want to claim him and keep him here?”

“No.”

“Then what exactly are you saying, brother? I’m goddamn lost.”

Knox stands to his full height, puffing out his chest a little. “If the club won’t protect Everett, then I’ll do it my damn self. I won’t get anyone else involved.”

Gavin laughs. “You aren’t going to drop this, are you?”

“Not unless you pull rank and order me to,” Knox says. “Will you?”

Gavin shakes his head, waving a hand. “It’s not that fucking serious. You said the kid clean, so I trust you on that. He isn’t a threat to us. For now, anyway.”

“Then what’s your decision going to be?” Knox asks, growing impatient.

“You’re lucky I consider you to be one of my best men. Someone I trust with my life,” Gavin pauses, studying Knox. “Because this is clearly something you feel strongly about, I’ll let you keep an eye on the kid. Have that knucklehead Finn assist you as part of his punishment.”

Knox nods. “Thanks, brother.”

“No problem. Rex’s funeral is in two hours, by the way. Make sure you’re done with the kid by then.”

Gavin walks off and Knox eases back inside his bedroom, surprised to see Everett still sitting where he left him. “No eavesdropping?”

“I-I was too scared to move...” Everett cracks a nervous smile, clutching his cell phone tight in his hands. “What happened out there? Is everything okay?”

“Yeah. All good.” Knox scratches the back of his neck, a nervous gesture. “So, uh, you ready to head home? Boss said you’re free to go.”

Everett responds eagerly. He jumps off the bed in search of his shoes, not asking any more questions after telling Knox his address. Knox opts to take his truck instead of his bike for the drive, not wanting to draw any attention to himself when he enters the suburban ass area that Everett calls home.

“My parents are at work, so you can park in the driveway,” Everett says after the GPS reads that their destination is half a mile away. “Fuck, man. It still feels like I’m stuck in a bad dream or something. I wish I’d never left campus.”

“Shit happens,” Knox mutters, driving slower than he needs to. “What are you going to college for?”

“Oh, I’m studying to become a Zoologist...” Everett turns red and glares at Knox after he bursts out laughing. “What the hell is so funny about that?”

“Nothing. I just wasn’t expecting that as an answer. Sorry for laughing.” Knox glances at Everett and flashes a smile that instantly makes the hard look disappear from his flushed face. “You forgive me?”

“No.” Everett frowns, pouting. “At least I’m doing something with my life. Did you even go to college? Or have you always belonged to the streets?”

Knox rolls his eyes. “I graduated high school and went to college, smart ass. Studied Engineering and made it six months before I had to drop out to come home and take care of Mom when she got sick.”

Everett shifts in his seat, his voice softening. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t know...”

“Don’t worry about it. Was a long time ago.”

Silence carries the rest of the drive.

After parking in front of Everett’s yellow two story house, Knox gets out of the truck and walks with him to the front door. His eyes don’t break from scanning the area for danger, the pistol tucked in the back of his jeans feeling heavier than normal.

“Hey.” Everett tugs at the hem of Knox’s shirt, reclaiming his attention. “We should exchange numbers, right? I should call you right away when I see or hear something suspicious... or am I better off depending on 911?”

Knox shakes his head and pulls out his cell phone. “Best to leave the cops out of this. What’s your number?” After receiving it, Knox texts Everett an emoji of a panda. “There. Now you have mine.”

“You’d have better not listed my contact as Kitten.”

“Amazing. You know me so well already.”

Everett shoves him playfully. “Idiot.”

If anyone else had insulted Knox as much as Everett has, they’d long be dead by now. A truth Knox has yet to find an explanation for.

“Seriously, Everett. Call me if anything out of the ordinary goes down. The Jackals are going to see you as a liability when they find out about your connection to Shaun. Be careful and keep your head low when you need to leave your house.”

“I understand.”

“Right. Well, I have some errands to run, so I’m going to send one of my guys over to keep watch of the place. I’ll text you when they’re on the way.”

Everett nods. “What about my friends? They weren’t with me when Shaun got killed, but I’m still worried about them. Guilty by association, you know?”

“I don’t think The Jackals would waste time coming after them if they weren’t directly involved, but you can send me their addresses as well.” Knox briefly looks out into the street again. This is the point where he should end the conversation, turn around, and leave, so why the hell aren’t his feet moving in the opposite direction?

“Thanks. I really appreciate all the help.” Everett smiles, another genuine one, and damn if it isn’t captivating as hell. “You be careful too, by the way.”

Knox leans in closer, suggestively swiping his tongue across his bottom lip. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say I’m starting to grow on you.”

“Not a chance.” Everett blushes, his grip on the doorknob tightening. “Are we done here?”

“Yeah, but I meant what I said just now.” Knox slowly backs away and shoves his hands in his pockets. “I’ll be pissed if you end up getting yourself killed, so be careful while I’m gone, alright?”

“I hear you. I’ll be good.”

“See you later, Everett.”

Knox successfully takes back control of his body before slipping up and doing something he’ll later regret. He reluctantly climbs into his truck and drives off without looking back.

Halfway to the clubhouse, he calls Finn who answers on the first ring. “Hey, man. What’s up?"

“I have a job for you,” Knox says. “And Finn... Swear to God if you fuck this one up, you won’t have to worry about The Jackals taking you out because I’ll kill you myself. Understand me?”

“Y-yeah. Loud and clear.”

“Good. Now here’s the situation...”

WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE.

CHAPTER 18. “Yes, hold on,” I hastily removed my shirt and put on the pile of our bag and her leggings. “Wait, don’t you want photos first?”...