Thursday 15 December 2022

THE LOST GENDER IDENTITY.

CHAPTER 2.
TOKYO.

“Tokyo.. Tokyo..”

I heard the train announcement and woke up. The sun was shining brightly. More people filled the train, getting in and out of the platform. Businessmen with briefcases, high school students on their phones; everyone was quiet.

I waited for the next station and left the train. My destination has arrived. My dream is here. Being a country bumpkin as I am, I had trouble going past the ticket machine thing. As I waited for the train guard to help, I lowered my gaze shamefully as onlookers looked at me with judgement.

After exiting the station, I finally stepped onto the busy streets of Tokyo. It was everything I could have ever imagined. And more.

Busy streets, crowded people, people in suits hurrying from one path to another, the skyscrapers reaching as tall as the sky… I envied the people that lived in the city.

I stared in awe, standing in the middle of the pavement. I caused so many traffic ordeal that bystanders stopped and looked at me with such anxiety that I blushed and struggled on the road till I came to a rest near Shibuya.

Feeling exhausted, my pace of walking was slow as I was not used to walking. I bumped into many people giving me sour looks, I have never cringed so much in my life. As the dark night approached, I looked for places to stay for a week.

Everywhere was amazingly and wonderfully priced for GODS!! Honestly, my mouth gaped like a lion’s first trip to the wild! Be it a hotel, a homestay or even a hostel; none of it was close to my budget.

Eventually, I saw a place that lured me away from budget hotels. Manga Cafes?! What are these?

As nervous as entering an operating room, I stepped into the cafe with a heart of a lion. Books, everywhere! Cubicles lined up! I see snacks and a row of flavoured drinks... my stomach growled loudly.

I went up to the cashier and looked at the menu.

“Mmmm... one hour... two hours.. five hours... 24 hours... interesting...” Woah! Free food and drinks? Free shower? Is this heaven?

“Konichiwa (Good evening), how may I help you?” A tall frail guy crept out from behind the counter.

“Umm Konichiwa (Good evening)... can I book a cubicle for seven days?” Hopefully, I did not sound like an idiot.

“Hai (Sure). I’ll need your full name, phone number and signature. Here, here and here. Arigatou gozaimasu (Thank you very much)!”

I thanked the cashier and followed his gesture to my cubicle. It was really compact and small, with a tiny step for my shoes and a sliding door; revealing my home for the next seven days. The cubicle offered a sofa-turned bed for sleeping, a computer screen with internet access, a cabinet for your belongings and a hook for your coat.

Sliding into the cubicle, I chucked my suitcase under the table and settled to sleep. The sofa/bed convertible was surprisingly very comfortable. As I settled to sleep, I thought about my family back in Kyoto. Have they realized I had run away? Were they searching for me? Were they disappointed?

After an endless time of thinking, I sailed off to my dreams, dreaming of the scenery I first saw when I stepped out onto Tokyo.

The Next Day

Honestly, I grew too interested in this cafe when I spent the next entire day reading manga. Who knew this could be an addiction! If only I had manga in the hospital, I would not even want to leave my bed.

I spent the next day exploring the computer with internet access. Woah! This sucks me into a whole new universe... While I was never aware of how ‘uneducated’ I was, I was just made so. Even more so with a lifestyle in and out of hospital beds.

At last, on the fourth day, I took my time exploring popular tourist spots around Tokyo. I got so excited going to parks and temples and well, just outdoors! Places I could not go whilst I was sick. I was fascinated by every sight and culture.

I lingered till late at night, before heading back to the cafe. Dragging my exhausted body across the Shibuya crossroads, my vision blurred slightly as the lights appeared dimmer. I wanted to sleep and rest.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a group of people moving around suspiciously as they cornered the dark alley. My mind was instantly awake and alert. Out of curiosity, I followed them until they stopped at a noisy pub.

Not realizing the area I was in, I continued to spy on them, without being aware of my surroundings.

“Hey! Who are you!” A stranger’s arm reached out and took hold of my collar, pulling me closer to whoever this person was. “What were you doing here?”

Realizing the danger I was in, I struggled free and ran away till I was out of breath. I looked back to make sure that no one had followed me. Reaching a corner, I heard footsteps and the sounds alarmed me to run.

Before I could plan my next move, a thick burly hand cupped over my mouth and I fainted upon inhaling the drug toxins in an old cloth.

WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE.

CHAPTER 18. “Yes, hold on,” I hastily removed my shirt and put on the pile of our bag and her leggings. “Wait, don’t you want photos first?”...