Thursday 5 January 2023

WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE.

CHAPTER 4.

I opened the door to our suite, the first thing I saw were the condoms on the dresser by the door. Well shit that won’t be needed. The walls were painted a nice shade of off-white, the wall the bed was against had a wooden accent wall matching the wooden blinds design along with the dressers. There was an L-shaped couch not far from the bed, facing the tv on the wall. The couch looked very inviting, I wouldn’t mind sleeping on it if I had to be honest but the bed, oh my god it was so big and fluffy.

“That’s- nice,” He commented, my eyes going to the false ceiling above the bed that went in a little deeper. The ceiling was nothing but a mirror, the corner had dimmed red lights surrounding it. Holy shit. When I looked to the right I spotted the shower. The wall between was made of nothing but glass. We both noticed that then looked over at each other.

“Just a week,” He took a deep breath to which I nodded in agreement. I walked past him and towards the balcony. It had the best view over the pool leading to the ocean.

“Should we unpack?” I asked, turning around to look at the giant.

“Shortcake,I think we should start making arrangements. That’s the only shower and I want to take one right now,” He walked back inside and kneeled down to his bag, digging in for what seems to be a towel.

“Now, now? Hold on, what did you just call me?” I frowned. I’m pretty sure I just heard him call me shortcake. He used to call me that in the beginning, to get under my skin and it used to work until I managed to mask it perfectly and pretend it didn’t bother me. Now he said it again and I couldn’t help but to be bothered by it. Just a few moments ago he was making fun of my height downstairs.

“I want that shower now, yes, so please pick your spot away from the shower and its glass wall, Shortcake,” He stood up, holding nothing but a pair of sweatpants, a towel and his showergel in his hand.

“Uh, I’ll change then I’ll leave the room,” I pulled out the first outfit I could find out of my luggage, one of my lacy bras falling out but I stuffed it back inside so fast my motions were blurred like when the flash would run, at least I hoped it was. I looked at the outfit I picked out, a blush-colored off the shoulder romper. Perfect for exploring I hoped.

“Where are you heading?” He then asked, leaning against the wall. His tall figure looked much better like that, shit.

“Oh I wasn’t aware you’re my dad,” I rolled my eyes and walked down the hall to the toilet. The only room with cement walls and a door that wasn’t seen through. Thank fuck.

“Emilia, This is a new place, I don’t want you getting lost and calling me scared ass fuck when I want to sleep,” Grayson followed me but stopped at the door. I could hear him right outside pacing around. I rolled my eyes, pulling the shirt over my head.

“You’d be the last person I’d call,” I was sure of it. Grayson would laugh at me and the chances of him actually helping seemed little to none. Thinking about it, if something happened to me during this trip he’d probably get away with it and get his Emiliana-free team like I heard him request but was denied. “Also how much do you sleep?” Judgement dripped from my tone as if I wasn’t a proud person who got a total of 10 hours sleep some days.

“A healthy amount,” He narrowed his eyes on me as I stepped out of the bathroom. His eyes went down to my toes then back to my eyes, almost as if he was approving my outfit. If he was I must’ve passed because he didn’t comment on it at all.

“I’ll be going then, try not to dream of me,”

“I’d very much not want any nightmares, shortcake,”

I decided to not say anything as I grabbed my purse and phone then left the suite. I took a deep breath and opened up my notes as I walked into the elevator. I had a whole list of things I could do whilst in Hawaii so I’d be searching for one of these things.

‘Get shave ice’ That seemed easy to do. I had already listed the best places according to google and some reviews. Perfect. Picking between the three was difficult, my first pick was a bit far and my second pick was at walking distance, obviously winning the battle. I enjoyed the summer breeze as I walked down the road. I looked around and soaked in the view of nature. Back on the mainland I’m surrounded by buildings and more buildings. Don’t get me wrong, I love the city, I’m a city girl but this break sure was refreshing. I’m surprised I haven’t caught myself running back to my laptop. Instead I was breathing fresh air, walking in the shadows of trees with the smell of tropical, salty air.

I arrived at ‘Vivi’s shaved ice’ . I frowned when I saw it looked more like a food truck- which I saw tons of already. It was near a beach and had a ray of colours painted in thin stripes all over. The pastel colours matched the stone bench sets. There were tons of people walking around, some enjoying shaved ice, others holding food from the other trucks or just holding their phones in their hands. I followed the line and kept staring at the menu. There were so many flavours I couldn’t even choose one right now.

“You’re from the mainland, aren’t you?” A man asked. I looked over to see a tall guy, not as tall as Grayson but still he must’ve been around 6’0. He was wearing a tank top that showed off his bulky arms and the tattoos that decorated them. His skin was tan going perfect with his dark brown hair and whiskey eyes that were strongly focused on me and only me right now.

“Am I that transparent?” I wondered. Surely it wasn’t that easy to tell us all apart, was it?

“Hm, kinda, but mostly I was just trying to figure out how to start a conversation with you,” He admitted, his lips curling into a smile, showing his cute dimples. His dimples reminded me of Grayson’s. Damn, he really clouded my mind, hasn’t he?

I cleared my throat and looked away from the gorgeous man and stared at the menu again then said, “Well… You could tell me which flavour is the best.”

“That I can do. I’m Makani, shaved iced connoisseur,” He extended his hand out to me, a smile forming on my lips. Gorgeous, muscular and funny? Not bad at all, Makani.

“Nice to meet you Makani, I’m Mia,” I rested my hand on his, watching as he brought his lips down onto it and pressed a soft kiss to it before letting go.

“Beautiful name. Now Mia, tell me, do you prefer sweet or sour?” He crossed his arms, staring at the menu with me.

“Definitely sweet,” I was quick to say. There was nothing better than sweets, I’ve always disliked sour candy unless they turned sweet.

“Yup, you were too good to be true,” He shook his head in disapproval which made me roll my eyes playfully. “The best flavours would be georgia peach which is basically strawberry and peach,” He then suggested, pointing to the board where the flavour was written.

I decided to try Makani’s combo. We continued to chat a bit longer, it turns out he prefers sour flavours and even recommended a few which I tried to memorise but truly after tasting the strawberry and peach I’d never want anything else. We walked together as we ate our shaved ice, the hot sand slipping between my feet and the sandals. I suddenly understood why half the people were either barefoot or carried their flip flops in their hands. I should’ve thought twice before putting on these sandals. Come to think of it I didn’t think the heels I brought would make much of an appearance during these three weeks.

Makani told me all kinds of fun stories from the Island as well as some recommendations on what I could try. I spent the following hour exploring the island a bit more, I already saw a restaurant I wanted to have dinner at, a cafe I definitely wanted to have breakfast or lunch at. I wondered if I’d be doing all these things by myself or if Grayson would join me. I snorted out loud at my thought. As if Grayson would even care about what I did. I decided to call it a day for exploring. My feet hurt already and I was ready to flop down onto the bed. On the way to the hotel I came across Makani again who then offered to walk me to the hotel. Just as we got to the lobby I saw Grayson by the desk dressed in some shorts and an olive colored shirt with a v neck, exposing his skin. My god, does he ever buy clothes that aren’t small on his body.

“There you are, Emilia,” Grayson narrowed his eyes on me, walking towards me in long strides. His whole demeanour I could tell he was still off.

“I thought a nap was supposed to improve your mood swings, Grayson,” I looked up at Grayson, his gaze was fixed on Makani and was giving him the judgy eyes for some reason.

“I guess I’ll see you around then, don’t hesitate to give me a call yeah,” Makani broke away from Grayson’s glare. He looked at me with a smile then pulled me in for a hug.

“I won’t,” I admitted, giving him a quick squeeze as we hugged then took a step back and smiled.

“The fuck?” Grayson’s words ruined the sweet moment I was having with Makani. “Who are you? Who is this?” He then asked, pointing to Makani. He looked at him then looked at me, his dark brow arched.

“Chill out Grayson, this is Makani, he’s from around here,” I shrugged off.

“Makani, it’s nice to meet you, Grayson,” Makani offered his hand but Grayson just looked at it.

“Wish I could say the same,” He muttered. His rudeness made me embarrassed, poor Makani. “Why are you talking to strangers?” Grayson lectured me as if I was a little child.

“I wasn’t aware you had a partner, sorry-” Makani began to apologise, clearly getting the wrong idea here. If he knew how we really were he wouldn’t make this outrageous assumption.

“He’s not my partner,” I was quick to say, Makani’s whiskey eyes holding more confusion than before.

“We’re co-workers,” Grayson muttered and turned back to me.

“Oh. I’ll be going then. See you around,” Makani was quick to say. It didn’t take a genius to see how uncomfortable he was with this conversation, I now wondered if he’d even reply if I texted.

“What is your problem?” I glared at Grayson, not caring if the people passing us in the lobby could hear right now. I was sick of his attitude and it was barely day one of this three week trip!

“My problem is that you’re practically telling strangers where you live,” He started walking to the back without bothering to look over his shoulder to see if I was following him. I took a deep breath and followed him to the back. He had a point, but Makani didn’t seem like a threat. He wasn’t busy or bossy or mean. He was respectful and not once tried to make a move.

“I met Makani when I went out for shaved ice and we chatted for a bit. He saw me walking by myself and offered to walk with me to the hotel,” I defended my actions. Grayson took a seat at one of the tables and pointed to the seat across him for me to take.

I looked around at the scenery, the sun was slowly going down. Orange wasn’t exactly my favourite colour but the way it painted the sky right now was just stunning not to mention the specs of gold and the slightest bit of pink in there. The trees as a sillhouthe reminded me of a painting. I looked at the table and in the middle there was a card that said: Reserved-Solace

The table he reserved was the one with the best view. Grayson’s gaze was on the sunset, the golden glow on his face made his green eyes stand out even more. My eyes followed the sharp edge of his jaw. Pure perfection which went to waste with his asshole personality. “When did you reserve this table?” I asked, slowly pulling the chair and sat across from him.

“Before we came here,” He pulled out his phone, staring at the screen as he ran a hand through his dark curls. Pathetic.

“So you planned dinner without checking with me first?” I pushed down his phone flat against the table, wanting him to look at me. He often held a long gaze or downright just refused to look at me as if the sight of me would make his stomach upset.

“You have no life, It was a safe bet,” He spoke so bluntly, somehow it hurts more to hear that.

“What if I made plans with Makani or someone else I met on the island, hm?” Was that above me? Yes, totally. I wasn’t known to make friends easily. It took me a month to warm up to everyone in the office and that was only because I knew I’d see them often. Makani is a total stranger and I was proud of myself for engaging in a conversation with him- he initiated it but it should count for something that I carried it on.

“Then I would easily find someone else to fill your spot, It’s really not that hard,” Grayson flashed me a cocky grin I wanted to knock away from his face.

“I suppose not, most people tend to go for redflags these days,” I shot back, mimicking his grin. His lips twitched a little and his eyes didn’t have that winning glow anymore.

“A red flag is this Makani guy who walked you to his hotel as if he didn’t have anything to do with his life,” He shrugged and picked up his phone, doing god knows what on it.

“God, you’re so negative about everything,” I sighed, sliding down in my chair a little. Grayson was the type of guy who’d assume the worst when we’d launch a new feature, expecting over a 100 bugs even when we tested it thoroughly.

“Emilia, there are dangerous people out there and you need to stop being so trusting,” Hearing him say the words reminded me of my father’s words.

“Ducklin’, I need you to be careful out there ok? Don’t trust easily and you’ll do just perfect.” He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. A warm smile spread on his face, causing his wrinkles to make an appearance. He was still beautiful though, because he was my dad. My hero, my world, my everything. Those whiskey brown eyes always brought me comfort and strawberry cupcakes- I didn’t even like them but he thought I did and always brought me those every Thursday after work but I’d have it for breakfast because on thursday he came home when I was already in bed.

“How can you be so sure?” ten year-old me wondered. He always looked at me with such admiration in his eyes, I wasn’t ever sure what I did to deserve that look from him.

“You’re my daughter, you’re braver, smarter, stronger than I’ll ever be,” Dad winked and fixed the necklace around my neck. It was a family heirloom passed from my grandmother to my father who now passed it onto me.

“I don’t think I’m stronger than you,” I pouted. Just look at him! All muscles and I was well- 10 with only body fat and noodle arms that could barely carry a shovel without wobbling.

“No muscles but up here,” He tapped the side of my head. “This and this is what matters the most,” He moved his hand over my left chest. “Especially this,” He added.

“Are you sure?” Seems sceptical. To just follow my heart.

“I followed them and it got me the world’s perfect daughter, so yes,” He laughed. Oh dad. You always had your way with words, I can see how he scored mom.

“Are you still here?” Grayson waved his hand in front of my face. The warmth in my heart was replaced with cold hatred as the memory of my father fainted away.

“Mhm,” I nodded and tried thinking of what Grayson and I were arguing about. “Is this what dinner will be like with you full of your pessimistic self? Also are we always going to have dinner together?” I then asked, doubling the question as curiosity got the best of me. Dinner with him every night would surely take away one year of my life every week.

“We should discuss that today,” He decided and looked over at the blonde waitress who made her way over to our table.

“Call me when you’re ready to order,” She smiled at me as she placed the menu on our tables.

“Thank you,” I smiled at her.

“The shower will be the main issue. I shower twice a day everyday,” Grayson spoke as he scanned the menu. I frowned, twice a day? I showered twice a day too! Stupid couple suite with their glass wall.

“I do too…” I sighed and closed my eyes. The universe was just testing me. I’m sure there’s a huge reward at the end if I play nice. I kept repeating that in my head twice before looking back at Grayson.

“Well shit,” He cursed and pressed his lips together, getting lost in his own trail of thoughts.

“I swear I’ll kill Dima next time I see him,” I muttered under my breath. This was all Dima’s fault. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he purposely did this, he always told me to be nice to Grayson but he wouldn’t actually go this far. Right? For us to share a couple’s suit is like telling both of us he hated us which he didn’t, he loved us but was stuck between us like a child whose parents are going through a nasty divorce. I had him Friday nights and Grayson Saturday nights.

“Pretty sure I might beat you to it,” He chuckled, the smile lingering on his face longer than usual.

“Well finally our interests align,” I joked and looked over at the sunset, watching as the sun disappeared under the water. “I call dibs on the first shower at night and last showr in the morning,” I was quick to say out of the blue.

“Of course you do…” He stared at me and let out a sigh. I’m surprised he accepted his defeat. He didn’t even bother fighting me on this and just gave me what I wanted.

“Back to my original question,” I circled back to the main point.

“Right. There’s an itinerary we don’t have to work with it but there are fun activities and as Prem said some he paid for us so I suppose we will stick together,” He skipped through the menu card.

“What’s written for tomorrow?” I wondered. I was finally tired and was hoping to sleep in a little.

“Nothing until dinner,” He showed me the digital itinerary on his phone. I had it on mine too but as of right now I was too busy and it would be a hassle.

“Good, we’ll go to the beach in the morning then and I have the perfect spot for lunch and it will be perfect,” I decided. After seeing the beach today I surely wanted to spend some time there- even with this heat that would ruin my hair. I frowned when I saw Grayson smiling, something so foreign. “Why are you smiling?”

“No reason… Just surprised to see you this excited for the beach,” He shrugged it off and broke our eye contact once again.

“I saw volleyball nets. We’ll play and I’ll beat your ass,” A smirk formed on my lips. Volleyball used to be my thing in middle school and highschool. I had only stopped because I didn’t find enough time to fit in all my hobbies and dropped it. It’s not like I had anyone cheering for my by the side after the age of eleven.

“Can you smash?” Grayson raised a brow at me.

“I’m the best at smashing,” I said, confidence dripping in my tone. I saw his sly smirk and my eyes widen. This dirty bastard!

“No doubt,” He laughed and crossed his arms over his broad chest.

“Grayson!” I warned but my cheeks started to feel hot. Thank god for being tan- I’d hate for my shyness to be given away with blushing. Staring at him now made me wonder if I’d be able to- perhaps I should just stick to serving. Smashing him would probably lead to my hand bleeding.

“You walked straight into that one,” He shrugged innocently.

“Gosh, your mind is so dirty,” I muttered. I was new to this side of Grayson and quite frankly I may or may not be enjoying it. He’s always so strict it began to make me wonder about some stuff… Was he pure vanilla in bed? Was he the type to just call it a day after he came- No, not according to what he said in the club but then again those are only words and we all know actions speak louder. Just like that Erick had promised me so much I was assured he’d be a beast in bed. He lasted a good three minutes with just reaching his pleasure and never bothering to help me chase mine.

“Baby, this is barely a fraction of it. You can say what you want but deep down you know you love it,” He winked, one side of his lips curling up showing off his dimples. Since when did I start liking them?

“I bet you like dirty talking, don’t you?” He continued to talk whilst I was stunned to comprehend what was happening. Was he lying? No, he wasn’t and I blame all those erotic novels for me sexual wants. 

WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE.

CHAPTER 18. “Yes, hold on,” I hastily removed my shirt and put on the pile of our bag and her leggings. “Wait, don’t you want photos first?”...